Delicious Food Tips to Feed Your Skin
Let’s face it—you have to stay on top of your skin care routine if you want to look and feel fantastic year-round. Being diligent about applying sunscreen and regularly using Obagi® products are definitely two great ways to help keep your appearance in tip-top condition, but consuming the right foods is also an important way to help round out your daily skin care regimen. After all, you are what you eat!
Here are three nutritious foods that will help keep your skin looking beautiful and healthy through all seasons:
- Oranges. Citrus fruits like oranges are said to be among the best foods for your skin’s health. The idea is to make sure you’re receiving plenty of Vitamin C, which can support the UV protective defenses of the skin. Citrus fruits are also filled with other antioxidants that help neutralize harmful free radicals, which may be responsible for aging your skin.1 Try to work at least one citrus fruit into your diet every single day—it can even be as simple as eating one for breakfast or for a mid-afternoon snack.
- Green leafy veggies. If you’ve never been a fan of salads, perhaps now it’s time to give the greens another try. Studies have shown that Vitamin A, which many vegetables contain in spades, can help support skin and hair repair.2 Because of this, incorporate into your diet a wide variety of dark veggies such as spinach, arugula, and lettuce, which are rich in Vitamin A.
- Salmon. Perfect for both summer barbecues and romantic evenings at home, salmon is jam-packed with omega-3 fatty acids, which is why this delicious fish has been hailed for its skin-rejuvenating properties. These essential fats are emollients, natural moisturizers that may help refresh dry skin. They also have anti-inflammatory properties, which limit irritation.3 It’s a win-win situation no matter how you like to prepare it.
And if you need something else to perk up your skin, try caffeine! But instead of reaching for another cup of joe, try our ELASTIderm® Eye Serum—a unique formula with the added boost of caffeine to help reduce the appearance of under-eye puffiness! Plus, our innovative rollerball applicator makes putting it on every day a cinch—easier than ordering a nonfat-no-foam-extra-ice-triple-mocha-latte-macchiato!
With so many delicious ways to help keep your skin looking and feeling radiant, you never know what unexpected tip might become the next staple of your skin care routine. Do you have any other food suggestions for helping your skin look its best?
- National Cancer Institute. Antioxidants and cancer prevention: fact sheet. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/prevention/antioxidants. Accessed June 8, 2012.
- Bouchez, C. Nutrients for Healthy Skin: Inside and Out. WebMD Website. http://www.webmd.com/beauty/skin/nutrients-for-healthy-skin-inside-out?page=3. Accessed October 12, 2015.
- Nelson, A. Skin Benefits of Omega-3. Livestrong.com http://www.livestrong.com/article/107404-omega-skin-benefits/. Accessed October 12, 2015.
®/TMs are trademarks of Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. or its affiliates. Any other product or brand names are trademarks of their respective owners. Distributed by Obagi Medical Products, a division of Valeant Pharmaceuticals North America LLC.
©2015 OMP, Inc. 10/15 DM/OBG/15/0226