Keep Obagi® Between You and the Sun
It is currently estimated that one in five Americans will develop skin cancer in their lifetime.1 In addition to increasing your skin cancer risk, not wearing sunscreen to protect your skin can lead to sunburn, brown spots (sun spots) and faster skin aging.2 Startling facts like this reinforce the importance of using a broad spectrum sunscreen every single day.
At minimum, a sunscreen should contain SPF 30 or higher and provide broad-spectrum protection (UVA and UVB).3 We also suggest following these skin protection guidelines to help protect you from sun damage:2,3
- Seek shade, particularly between 10 am and 4 pm
- Do not let your skin burn
- Avoid tanning and UV tanning booths
- Cover up with clothing, a broad-brimmed hat, and UV-blocking sunglasses
- Use a sunscreen every day with an SPF of 30 or higher
- Apply 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) of sunscreen all over your body 15 minutes before going outside; reapply every 2 hours, and after swimming or sweating
- Every month, examine your skin head to toe for changes
- Every year, see your physician for a complete skin exam
Obagi has a wide range of sunscreens to ensure that there’s a sunscreen for everyone—because you need protection every day. Review this Obagi Sunscreen infographic to help guide you through many important sun health facts and be sure to SHARE this blog to help inform your loved ones about the importance of practicing safe sun!
References: 1. Join Spot. American Academy of Dermatology website. http://www.aad.org/spot-skin-cancer/join-spot. Accessed April 1, 2014. 2. UV information. The Skin Cancer Foundation Website. http://www.skincancer.org/prevention/uva-and-uvb/understanding-uva-and-uvb. Accessed March 13, 2014. 3. Sunscreens. American Academy of Dermatology website. http://www.aad.org/media-resources/stats-and-facts/prevention-and-care/sunscreens. Accessed March 13, 2014.
Except as otherwise indicated, all product names, slogans, and other marks are trademarks of the Valeant family of companies. © 2014 Obagi Medical Products Inc., a division of Valeant Pharmaceuticals North America LLC. DM/SSH/14/0001